Fallen in love with our patterns and want them right now?
Digital patterns are PDF files that you receive instantly (by email) after purchasing!
They are ready to print at home, a print shop or even at work (naughty!). You just need to be able to print on A4 paper (210 x 297 mm/8.3 x 11.7 in) or the equivalent size.
PURCHASING A DIGITAL PATTERN
I want one, what do I do?
Simply purchase your digital pattern from our pattern shop. Once your purchase is complete, pop along to the email address you used when purchasing the product, and you’ll see two emails – one an order confirmation and another with a link to download two PDF files – the sewing pattern and the instructions. Remember to check your spam filter – your email will arrive from “The Avid Seamstress” firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT TO DO AFTER PURCHASING A DIGITAL PATTERN
- Click on the link in the email or copy and paste the link into your web browser
- Download the files (you will have 3 attempts to download the files)
- Save the files to your computer
- Open the PDFs (we advise that you use Adobe Reader – download here). Using Adobe Reader is the most accurate way to print these PDFs.
The instruction manual
- First, only print the instruction manual to a4 (preferably double sided to look after our environment) or, instead of printing it, why not follow the instruction manual on your screen?
Printing your sewing pattern
There is a 10cm square on one of the first pages of the pattern PDF that looks like this:
You are only going to print this page first. It is critical that when this page is printed the 10cm square measures exactly 10cm.
- Make sure your paper is ready and in the printer straight
- If your printer has paper guides make sure they are set correctly and holding your paper straight
- Go to print settings
- Select “actual size” / “fit” / “custom scale 100%”
- Orientation should be “portrait”
- Print only the page that has the 10cm square
- Measure the square with a ruler / measuring tape and, if perfect, print the rest of the pattern (make sure the print settings haven’t changed)
- If it is not measuring 10cm, adjust the scaling on your printer settings and try again until you reach the perfect 10cm square and then print the rest of the pattern
HOW TO ASSEMBLE YOUR PATTERN
This requires some patience, glue (or tape but we prefer glue as tape may melt when ironed) and a sharp pair of paper scissors:
The first page is your pattern layout guide, showing you how to fit your pieces together. The pages that are crossed out on this guide aren’t printed. Use this guide when laying out your pages.
- On the dashed borders, cut accurately along the top and left hand side line on each page.
- Don’t worry if the pattern pieces look like they are upside down, just ensure that your numbers on each page are the right way up!
- Once they are all cut out, take your layout guide and start laying out the first row.
- You’ll notice that each page has a large half triangle on the side and bottom/top of the page. These match up to the corresponding page so that you can fit these pages together accurately.
- Don’t go crazy with glue and tape. match up the half triangles, top and side of the paper whilst checking that the pattern markings match up too. You only need enough glue to hold them gently together. Too much glue and you may struggle to line up the pieces.
- Go slowly and methodically work your way across each piece from left to right.
- Then start on the next row, joining each piece to the top first, and then adding on the next piece in the row.
- Once completed, check your pattern pieces are all correct and then find your size, cut out your pieces and you’re ready!
Your printed pattern is now ready to use! Enjoy and don’t forget to send us some pictures! We love to see what you have made – email@example.com
The pattern pieces fit together along the sides but not along the bottom (or vice versa)
This is down to how the paper is being fed into your printer. Check whether your printer has guides that hold the paper in place as these will help to feed the paper through accurately. Still having a problem? You may need to use a different printer to get better accuracy.
I’ve searched my email (and spam) and can’t find the download
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and we will look in to it straight away.
I used PayPal to complete my purchase
The download link will be delivered to your PayPal email address.
Do you any questions or need any help? Email us at email@example.com and we will be happy to help!