Yes! you read right! I am going to be at the Fabric Godmother’s gorgeous shop on the 14th May doing a workshop on the Sheath Dress! Come and join this brilliant day and make this amazing dress with me.
About the sewing class:
The Sheath Dress is a gorgeous dress that you will want to make again and again in lots of fabrics. A perfect sewing project for someone that it at the beginner stage of sewing and would like to have a fun day making up this dress with me – Lisa – the owner of The Avid Seamstress.
I will teach you sewing skills that you will be able to use for all your future sewing projects such as:
- how to take your measurements correctly
- how to make adjustments to the pattern to fit your measurements
- how to lay a pattern correctly
- a great pinning method
- the importance of cutting correctly and cutting skills
- seam allowances and how to use your sewing machine for accuracy
- invisible zips – using a method that will change the way you look at zips forever. You don’t need to be a master seamstress to put zips in garments!
When the above is done properly the sewing part of your project is a pleasure.
About the pattern – The Sheath Dress
The Sheath Dress has a flattering round neckline, elasticated waist and invisible zip at the back.
The entire front of this dress is cut as one piece which includes the sleeves. The back is two pieces making the construction of the dress so easy! The neckline is finished with facing.
You can decide to make this dress with gorgeous inner pockets or without. You could even add outer pockets or not add the elasticated waist to change the style of the dress.
I will take you through the construction of this dress and show you a few methods of applying the elastic casing to fit your desired fit. Together with your new preparation skills and using new found sewing techniques your dress will be a work of art.
A lovely day sewing in a fun, relaxed atmosphere with new sewing friends!
Who is this class for?
You must have basic sewing skills and have used a sewing machine. This is not a class for absolute beginners.
Also included in the course:
- Tuition from Lisa Falconer, owner of The Avid Seamstress
- Meet Josie – owner of the gorgeous fabric and haberdashery store – Fabric Godmother
- The Sheath Dress sewing pattern to take home with you – worth £16.50
- Tea, coffee and biscuits
- Use of the Fabric Godmother Studio complete with Janome sewing machines and all the equipment you need to make your dress
- 10% discount at Fabric Godmother
What you need to bring:
- 2.5m of fabric – it’s crucial to note that your fabric must be at least 128cm wide – fabrics can be purchased from Fabric Godmother on the morning of the class prior to the class (you can take advantage of 10% discount at Fabric Godmother) or from another retailer. Have a look at our gorgeous fabric suggestions for The Sheath Dress – click me
- 40cm/16” invisible zip (the zip must be an invisible zip and not a standard zip)
- 1 meter elastic (maximum 25mm wide)
- Thread to match your fabric. I recommend Gutermann, they are available to buy on the day if you wish.
Date: Saturday 14th May 2016
Time: 10.00am – 5pm
Location: Fabric Godmother Unit E11, Knoll Business Centre, Old Shoreham Road, Hove, Sussex BN3 7GS (There is free parking on site or the nearest train station is Portslade station)
Got any questions? Please contact me with any questions, using the contact form below, or if you are not sure if this course is for you.