We are super excited to tell you that we are going to be teaching the wonderful art of sewing at The Village Haberdashery!
Our “This is a sewing machine” workshop will introduce aspiring stitchers – or those who need a refresher – how to use a sewing machine! In this comprehensive three hour class, you’ll get sewing machine-savvy and leave with enough knowledge and confidence to start making your own projects at home!
What will you learn?
* Machine safety
* Learn the different functions of the sewing machine
* Threading the machine
* Winding a bobbin
* Changing a needle, needle position, needle size
* Mastering sewing machine speed control
* Sewing straight lines, curves and corners
* Sewing seams (understanding seam allowance)
* Finishing seams and reverse stitching
* Using a seam ripper
* How to use the overlocking (serging) stitch on a sewing machine
* Care of your machine and troubleshooting
Skills needed: This class is designed for absolute beginners or those that need a refresh
Materials: All materials will be provided.
Class size: 6
Location: Village Haberdashery – West Hampstead shop – 47 Mlll Lane, London NW6 1NB
We use Janome XL601 sewing machines in this class. If you’d like to bring your own machine, please let us know in advance using the contact form below and come to class with your machine’s handbook.
Customers who purchase a Janome sewing machine from The Village Haberdashery are invited to take this class once free of charge. To book a place, please contact Village Haberdashery at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This workshop is focussed solely on the skill of sewing and the entire three hours will be spent practising each element below to ensure that the methods stay in your mind after the class.